Sunday, October 17, 2010

Costume Recon and Current Projects

I currently have three projects in the works at the moment;
1) A spooky silhouette garland to hang in my front windows based on this post.
2) Cheesecloth ghosts
3) Costume recon

I have several more planned, but life is being a little nuttier than usual, so I haven't been able to accomplish as much as I would like to on my current projects. `
Since the first two projects are nearly done and I'm working on a photo tutorial for those, I'll discuss the costume recon.


I've had this spider witch costume for at least 8 years and it's somehow still in good condition. It's just an average, store bought costume that used to look pretty darn good on me...but, then I went and had a baby and my girlish figure went, um, a little lumpy. So, in an effort to buy as little new this Halloween, I'm updating this old costume to be not only a little more comfortable, but also more flattering, a bit more demure and easier to nurse in (oh hai Baby Craftapus!).



This is my proposed concept; nothing too drastic, but trust me, if I was modeling this, you would notice the difference. Essentially, my plan is to fold the bottom purple layer in half to make a knee length skirt then place the spider web lace dress portion over top and fold down the top to create a bit of a belt on my hips. The top is an old black tank that is quite stretchy (and therefore great for nursing!) and I'll be sewing the sleeves directly to the tank. Easy peasy, right? I'll be sure to update when it's finished.

I haven't decided if I want to be a witch to match Baby Craftapus (gotta find a hat!) or Arachnia, queen of the spiders (gotta make a spider headband!). I'm sure I'll figure it out by H-day. Now I just have to figure out what to do for the ever so costume resistant Mr. Craftapus.


*Oh, by the way...I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I have very little photography skill and I'm using my cell phone. Mr. Craftapus is a big photog, so eventually, I'll get him taking the pictures and this might look like a grown up blog. For now, I just really wanted to get something up.

xoxo,
The Craftapus

No comments:

Post a Comment